Psychiatry Residency Training Program
Welcome to the San Mateo County Psychiatry Residency Training Program
We are a comprehensive psychiatry residency program with an emphasis on community psychiatry at the San Mateo County Behavioral Health and Recovery Services in the San Francisco Bay Area. Our program offers a personalized and progressive approach to psychiatry residency training that guides and nurtures each resident to his or her full professional potential. We aim to graduate psychiatrists who excel in psychiatric knowledge and clinical skills while also making a deep impact on the lives of our patients, our system of care, and the field of psychiatry.
Our goal is to create a humanistic academic environment that promotes both personal and professional growth and also cherishes our diverse backgrounds, cultures, and belief systems. In the learning environment, we emphasize small group discussions and team-building, and in the greater community we promote a sense of social responsibility and service. Our residents practice and learn within the person-centered, recovery-focused approach of care in our county. We foster innovation and leadership and create opportunities for our residents to be involved in education, systems issues, clinical research, community outreach, quality improvement and other areas of interest.
Other highlights of our program include:
- A supportive and humanistic professional atmosphere
- Experiences in a designated county psychiatric emergency service
- Early and ongoing training in outpatient psychiatry starting in PGY 2 year
- Emphasis on psychotherapy training starting in PGY2 year
- The opportunity to do home visits and outreach to some of the most at risk county patients
- Excellent and ample supervision from our impressive faculty
- Flexible elective time in the third and fourth years for the resident to create his/her own educational experiences
- An emphasis on scholarly activity from a community psychiatry perspective
- Location in the vibrant and diverse San Francisco Bay Area
Graduates of our residency program excel in a variety of career paths including community mental health, psychiatric specialties, psychiatry leadership, academic psychiatry, and private practice among others. We look forward to meeting you and discussing the ways our training program can help you launch your career as a psychiatrist.