Office of Vital Statistics
225-37th Avenue, Room 11
San Mateo, CA 94403
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Fridays 8:00 - 5:00
Thursdays 8:00 - 4:00
During the solar project from 6/1/15 to 12/31/15, customers are welcomed to park in lots A and B. Security will be checking upon entering the parking lot to ensure that there are parking places for customers.
New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Friday after Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day.
Birth certificates are used for many official purposes such as Social Security, passport applications and school enrollment.
For birth certificates involving an adoption or legal name change, please contact the State of California Department of Health Serivces Services at (916) 445-2684.
Who Can Request and Receive an Authorized Certified Copy of a Birth Certificate?
The law is very strict about who may request and receive authorized, certified copies of birth certificates. Its intent is to protect an individual's privacy and keep their personal information safe from identity theft. Only those listed below are authorized to obtain certified copies of birth certificates.
- The registrant or a parent/legal guardian of the registrant
- A child, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, spouse or domestic partner of the registrant
- Person (s) entitled to receive the record as a result of a court order, or an attorney or licensed adoption agency seeking the birth record in order to comply with the requirements of Section 3140 or 7603 of the Family Code
- An attorney representing the registrant or the registrant's estate, or any person or agency empowered by statute or appointed by a court to act on behalf of the registrant or the registrant's estate
- A member of a law enforcement agency or a representative of another governmental agency, as provided by law, who is conducting official business
Informational Only Copies of Birth Certificates
Those who do not meet the criteria for an authorized certified copy may receive an informational only copy. The words "Informational, Not a Valid Document to Establish Identity" will be imprinted across the face of the copy.
The Office of Vital Statistics provides authorized certified or informational only birth certificates for birth dates from 1966-present. For certificates prior to 1966, you must contact or go to the County Clerk-Recorder's Office.
Effective January 1, 2014
A completed application and a notarized Certificate of Identity form signed under penalty of perjury by the authorized requestor are required for all orders sent by mail. Mail the notarized application, a self-addressed envelope, and the required payment by a check or money order only (payable against a USA bank) payable to Office of Vital Statistics. Mail to: Office of Vital Statistics at 225 37th Ave, San Mateo, CA 94403
Mail processing time is 3-5 days. If you wish to have us expedite your request, please enclose a pre-paid priority envelope with the required completed mailing forms from the US Postal Service along with your notarized application and check or money order. We are unable to expedite mail using UPS or FedEx.
In person processing time is 5-15 minutes. If you are an authorized individual, you may come into our office to purchase a certified death certificate. You must complete the application form which includes a sworn statement, under penalty of perjury, in the office where the record is on file, in order to receive an authorized certified copy.
Due to the increase in fees effective January 1, 2014, if you are mailing your application toward the end of December, please use the 2014 application to ensure you are paying the correct amount. If your application is received after January 1, 2014, with the old fee, it will be returned to you for resubmittal.
For the public and non-public agencies:
For government agencies:
The California Secretary of State provides authentication of public official signatures on documents to be used outside the U.S. Apositle Requests are processed at and issued by the County Recorder's Office located at 555 County Center, 1st Floor, Redwood City, CA 94063
Solicitudes de Apostile
El apostillado consiste de un sello especial que estampa la Oficina de la Secretaria del Estado de California (California Secretary of State's Office) para certificar que un acta de nacimiento o defuncion es una copia verdadera de un original y pueda ser aceptado fuera del territorio de los Estados Unidos de America. Solicite el acta de nacimiento o defuncion en el County Recorder's Office en 555 County Center, 1er piso, Redwood City, CA 94063
- Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage (To add a father)
- Adjudication of Facts of Parentage (To change or add a parents name on a registered birth certificate)
- Affidavit to Amend Birth Record (To correct spelling)
- Amending After a Court-Ordered Name Change
- Correcting Gender Errors on Birth Certificates
- Delayed Registration of Birth
- How to Register an Out of Hospital Birth
- Obtaining a New Birth Certificate After Gender Reassignment
- Supplemental Name Report (To add name to registered birth)
- The Adoption Process
Birth Certificates Can Also be Obtained Through:
County Clerk-Recorder's Office
555 County Center, First Floor
Redwood City, CA 94063-1665
PO Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899
1501 Capitol Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95814